This is so cool! What a great way to teach the kiddos!
This is a great way to spend a lazy weekend afternoon with the kids! DIY Lava Lamps are so easy to make and you probably have all the materials you need on hand already. Plus, this is a great opportunity to teach the kiddos about different liquid densities and immiscible liquids (like oil and water).
In terms of the container you use, anything transparent with a lid will work perfectly. We added glitter to ours to get a fun sparkling effect, but you could experiment with adding sequins or small beads – really whatever you have on hand! The kids are going to have so much fun with their new lava lamp!
See how easy it is in the video below! Looking for more projects to do with the kids? Check out these confetti pop rockets and these awesome DIY light catchers!
– Clear Water/Soda Bottles with Lids
– Vegetable Oil
– Food Coloring
– Alka-Seltzer Tablets
– Sparkles (optional)
1. Pour vegetable oil in the bottles unti lthey are about 3/4 full.
2. Fill the rest of the way with water.
3. Add 10 drops of food coloring in each bottle.
4. Add glitter or other small objects.
5. Add the Alka-Seltzer tabs and watch the fun begin!