This is a great way to spend a lazy weekend afternoon with the kids! DIY Lava Lamps are so easy to make and you probably have all the materials you need on hand already. Plus, this is a great opportunity to teach the kiddos about different liquid densities and immiscible liquids (like oil and water).
In terms of the container you use, anything transparent with a lid will work perfectly. We added glitter to ours to get a fun sparkling effect, but you could experiment with adding sequins or small beads – really whatever you have on hand! The kids are going to have so much fun with their new lava lamp!
– Clear Water/Soda Bottles with Lids
– Vegetable Oil
– Food Coloring
– Alka-Seltzer Tablets
– Sparkles (optional)
1. Pour vegetable oil in the bottles unti lthey are about 3/4 full.
2. Fill the rest of the way with water.
3. Add 10 drops of food coloring in each bottle.
4. Add glitter or other small objects.
5. Add the Alka-Seltzer tabs and watch the fun begin!