Light Asian Recipe: Healthy Thai Coconut Chili Chicken Skewers
Finding a recipe that’s tasty (i.e. totally delectable), easy and healthy is basically like finding the Holy Grail; once you have it, you hold onto it forever. These chicken skewers are our grail, in that they taste amazing, don’t require a lot of prep time or active work, and they’re really healthy and good for you!
Coming in at under 250 calories per serving, we seriously can’t get enough of these skewers– there’s a delicious sweetness from the coconut milk that accompanies a well-rounded and full flavor from all the spices. Throw in some red pepper flakes (or don’t, your choice) and marvel at what you’ve created! Then go back for seconds, because you don’t have to feel guilty for one second for enjoying this yummy dish!
Coconut Chicken Skewers
- 8 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-2-inch cubes
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut milk, cumin, coriander, brown sugar, garlic powder, chili flakes, shallots, curry powder, soy sauce, ginger, lime juice and zest, salt and pepper (if using) until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large, re-sealable plastic bag and add cubed chicken.
- Seal bag and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, or overnight.
- Once chicken has had a chance to marinate, thread meat onto skewers and set remaining marinade aside.
- Heat your grill or griddle to medium-high heat and cook skewers, rotating frequently and brushing with marinade, until completely cooked through.
- Transfer skewers to serving plates, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately!
- Calories: 220
- Carbs: 6.4 g
- Fat: 5.4 g
- Protein: 26.8
- Sodium: 761.2 mg
- Sugar: 2.6 g
Recipe adapted from Yummy Healthy Easy