Normally when we make chili we do a standard beef version, but we switched things up this time and made a lightened up chicken chili that blew our minds. We don’t know why chicken isn’t used more often in chili recipes, but the flavor of this dish was enough to convert us! We didn’t think this meal could get any better, but the fact that we were able to throw it all in the slow cooker and let it work its magic bumped this dish up even more in our books…you have to try it!
There’s no searing, not a ton of chopping… it’s just a matter of stirring some things up in the slow cooker and letting it work its magic. The end result is a zesty soup that’s totally satisfying and good for you too. A little bit of reduced-fat cream cheese keeps things creamy, but the rest of the ingredients are really just various veggies, beans, spices, and lean chicken. You can’t go wrong there!
Healthy Chicken Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (14 oz.) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz.) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 (8 oz.) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, garnish
- sour cream, garnish
- tortilla chips, garnish
- Place chicken breasts and chicken broth in slow cooker, then add tomatoes, beans, corn, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic.
- Season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper, then stir everything together, turn slow cooker on HIGH and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and place in a large bowl, then use two forks to shred chicken into small pieces.
- Return chicken to slow cooker, then add cream cheese. Stir everything together, then cover slow cooker and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes, or until cream cheese is melted.
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve with fresh cilantro and sour cream or tortilla chips.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction