Guys, prepare to have your minds blown. Butter is one of those things that we don’t even think twice about when we buy it at the grocery store, but it turns out it’s ridiculously easy to make at home! That’s right, all you need is some heavy cream (and a pinch of salt) and then you just turn the mixer on. After trying it out ourselves, we fully intend to continue making our own in the future. Seriously, our homemade butter was rich and creamy and the bite we took after slathering it on a slice of fresh rosemary bread was heaven on earth. If you’ve got a standing mixer, there’s no reason you can’t be enjoying your own tasty homemade butter in the next 15 minutes!
Yield: approx. 2 cups
- 6 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pour heavy cream and salt into mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
- Cover mixer with splash guard and/or paper towels or plastic wrap, then turn mixer on medium-high speed (level 6).
- Heavy cream will turn into whipped cream, then it will separate into buttermilk and begin splashing. Continue beating it until butter sticks to itself when lumped together.
- Drain buttermilk (save for another use or discard), then place butter in a colander and rinse under cold water, squeezing excess buttermilk out, until liquids run clear.
- Serve fresh on a piece of bread, or wrap butter tightly in plastic wrap or store in an air-tight container and keep refrigerated.
Recipe adapted from Living Well Saving Less