This crocheted skull motif will add the perfect pop to any accessory this halloween – from scarves and hats, to costumes and clothes! It may look complicated, but I promise this piece can be completed in under an hour, and it only uses 3 stitches: single, half double, and double crochet. Anyone can make this spooky motif! Go ahead and see how it’s done in the video below, and don’t forget to check out the free pattern beneath the video. Happy crocheting, friends!
Want more crochet halloween crafts? Check out this adorable candy corn trick-or-treat bag!
Free Skull Pattern:
1. Chain 12.
2. Make a loop (for the eye socket) by inserting the hook into the first chain.
3. Without breaking the chain, continue chaining 13.
4. Make a second loop (eye socket) by inserting the hook into the 12th chain. Chain one, then single crochet in the next chain (the center of the eye sockets).
6. Stitch 20 single crochets around the circle of chains, (NOT in the chains).
7. Single crochet in the bottom of the middle stitch (between the eyes), and stitch 20 single crochets in the second circle. Join to the first round with a slip stitch.
8. Chain 3, double crochet in same stitch.
9. Double crochet next 3 stitches, half double crochet next 2 stitches, single crochet next 7 stitches. Half double crochet next 2 stitches, double crochet next 2 stitches, chain 2.
10. Skip 8 stitches (for the nose hole) and join to 9th stitch with a double crochet.
11. Mirror the pattern for the first circle: double crochet, 2 half double crochet, 7 single crochet, 2 half double crochet, 3 double crochet.
12. Join to first double crochet with a slip stitch, and chain 3.
13. Double crochet next 3 stitches, half double crochet next 4 stitches, single crochet next 4 stitches, half double crochet next 2 stitches, double crochet next 2 stitches.
14. Place 4 double crochets in the nose hole (not in the chain).
15. Mirror the pattern for the first circle: 2 double crochet, 2 half double crochet, 4 single crochet, 4 half double crochet, 4 double crochet.
16. Slip stitch into the top of chain 3, cut yarn, weave in ends.
17. For the teeth: Find the center of the skull, count 4 stitches to the left, and attach yarn.
18. Chain 4, skip next stitch, double crochet in the next stitch.
19. Chain one, skip one, double crochet in the next stitch. Repeat 2 more times for a total of 4 teeth.
20. Chain 4, and turn the piece. Double crochet into the double crochet of the previous row, and chain one. Repeat across the row for a full set of teeth. Cut the yarn, weave in the ends. There you have your motif!