Okay, now some might make the argument that it’s super easy and tasty to just use canned baked beans, but hear us out – when you use canned baked beans as the BASE of your dish, but then build on them by adding more ingredients and flavors that you love, you’re able to create a recipe that packs way more of a punch and that will have everyone absolutely hooked.
Speaking of added ingredients, we’ve got a secret one that really takes this dish to the next level: root beer! We used a couple cans of beans in this, but the finished product has, in large part thanks to the root beer, such a greater depth of flavor it’s insane…plus, hello, giant bacon pieces! Aside from how delicious this tastes, the next best thing about this recipe is that you can make it in the slow cooker, yay!
Cooking it on high, covered, for 3-4 hours (or on low for 8, and then uncovering it and cooking it for another 1-2 hours will ensure that all the ingredients blend together and the flavor build, then, when it’s cooking uncovered, it all simmers down into a juicy, thickened sauce that coats all the beans. This stuff is perfection, trust us. Next time you’re having friends over, don’t rely just on the canned stuff, this takes a little more time and planning, but once you try it you’ll know it was all worth it.
Root Beer Baked Beans
10 minutes active; 4+ hours inactive to prepare serves 8
- 1 (15 oz.) can baked beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can chili beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can pork and beans
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle root beer, do not use diet
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk together root beer, barbecue sauce, mustard and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place all beans, diced bacon and onion in slow cooker, then top with barbecue sauce mixture and stir together until fully incorporated.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours, then cook uncovered until desired consistency is reached.