Today’s recipe is yet another hearty dish designed to warm you up on a chilly day. This beef stew is filled with delicious beef and vegetables, and best of all it doesn’t take much work to make. Just add the ingredients to a slow cooker before leaving for work, and by the time you get back the stew should be ready to serve the family.
Like any slow cooker recipe, this beef stew is absolutely open to all sorts of additions and adjustments. Play around with different broths, add a cup of red wine, or throw in a few extra spices as you see fit. Keep reading below for our delicious beef stew recipe…
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
30min to prepare (makes 6-8 servings)
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 cup fresh green beans cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1lb stew-meat beef chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- Put the ingredients except for the flour and tomato paste into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or high for 4 to 5 until the beef is tender and potatoes are fork-tender.
- Stir the stew once or twice as it cooks if possible.
- 30 minutes before serving, transfer a ladle-ful of broth to a small mixing bowl.
- Add the flour and tomatoe paste. Whisk until mooth, then stir the mixture back into the stew and cook for the remaining half hour.
- Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Spoonful