Make this once and your family will never stop asking for it!
We love breakfast recipes that are easy and versatile enough to serve for dinner, especially when they’re as satisfying as this warm and hearty casserole, chock-full of tomatoes and zucchini. It’s the perfect dish for summer when your garden’s brimming with fresh vegetables, but we’re pretty sure you’ll crave its cheesy comfort just as much during those cold winter months. White cannellini beans and eggs pack plenty of protein into this vegetarian creation, plus, we added some pepper flakes to give it some spice, but you can add whatever you’re comfortable with. Whether it’s for breakfast or for dinner, or somewhere in between, this dish is lip-smackingly good…we hope you like it as much as we do!
Zucchini Tomato Breakfast Bake
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, finely chopped (about 3 medium)
- 1 can cannellini beans (10 oz.), rinsed and drained
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, sliced (about 3 medium)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and sauté onion and zucchini until tender. Stir in red pepper flakes, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add beans, then stir until well combined and heated through. Transfer veggie mixture to baking dish and top with sliced tomatoes.
- Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, basil and shredded cheese in a large bowl. Pour mixture over the casserole ingredients.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until egg is set, and casserole is lightly browned and puffy. Remove from oven and serve hot
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes