Rich, creamy potato soup is at the top of our list of ultimate comfort foods, especially when the temperature starts to drop. We’re thrilled with this recipe because it’s not just easy…it’s fast, and it’s delicious. Cream cheese really gives this soup a satisfying richness, and salty chunks of pancetta add wonderful flavor and texture.
We have complete control over the texture when we use our blender; just add more of the soup for a smooth consistency or less for a chunky texture. This is exactly the soup we’re looking for on cool evenings; it’s quick to prepare and soooo delicious to eat, and we especially love those chunky nibbles of pancetta!
Rich and Creamy Potato Soup
15m prep time
30m cook time
- 4 ounces pancetta, cubed
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 cup milk (add more if needed)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Brown pancetta in large stock pot until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove pancetta from pot with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel.
- In the same stock pot, sauté onions in pancetta renderings until softened. Add potatoes and vegetable broth. Season with garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer 2/3 potato mixture to blender with cream cheese and 1/2 cup milk. Vent lid on one corner to let steam escape, or cover with dish towel. Blend mixture until smooth, adding additional milk as needed until potatoes are smooth. Mash remaining potatoes directly in stock pot.
- Pour blended soup back into stock pot and stir to incorporate. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add kosher salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with pancetta, cheese and parsley before serving.
Recipe adapted from Grace and Good Eats