Who knew a green veggie could be so hearty?!
Looking for a healthy, unique option for dinner tonight? This cabbage zucchini and cheese casserole debunks all cabbage criticism! Rarely do we think of cabbage as anything more than a topping, after-thought, or St. Patrick’s Day side…until now. This recipe changes all that!
Not only is this an inexpensive and easy dish, but it’s healthy, hearty and surprisingly filling as well. Put a whole head of cabbage to good use with this cheesy, hot-from-the-oven baked casserole. You can have it for brunch, lunch, or dinner, and since it mainly utilizes ingredients you’re likely to have on hand already, it’s also a great end-of-the-week, time-saving meal.
Cabbage Zucchini and Cheese Casserole
- 1 head cabbage, cooked until tender and finely chopped
- 3 cups zucchini, seeds scooped out, sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F, and grease a 9x13-inch casserole pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with vegetable oil, oregano, and parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder, and slowly whisk eggs into dry mixture.
- Fold in the chopped onions, garlic, zucchini, cooked cabbage, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Transfer mixture to greased baking dish and place in oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the mixture begins to set. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and bake another 10-20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Garnish with more fresh parsley and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Cooks