Around here, we know that everything is better when bathed in a rich cheese sauce. We like it on everything from crispy potatoes to baked chicken, but especially on vegetables. That’s why we love this recipe. Sautéed Brussels sprouts and parsnips are combined with a creamy cheese sauce to make a rich side dish that our whole family enjoys. Sometimes we even add chopped cooked chicken or ham to make it a complete meal on its own.
The Brussels sprouts in this recipe really are the star of the dish, but the parsnips add a sweet and nutty background flavor that we love. Sometimes we substitute carrots or potatoes if that’s what we have on hand; roasted root vegetables are a popular choice in our house. This recipe is also a good place to hide vegetables for picky eaters because everyone loves a nice cheesy casserole!
Brussels Sprout Casserole
15m prep time
45m cook time
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cleaned and quartered
- 2-3 medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté Brussels sprouts, parsnips and onion in a medium frying pan until Brussels sprouts are browned and parsnips and onions have softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a 13" x 9" casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Mix in flour and cook until browned and nutty. Add cream and whisk continuously until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce over vegetables. Sprinkle Parmesan on top and bake for 40-45 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and top is browned.
Recipe adapted from Rutland Farm and Food