When it comes to weeknight dinners, it can be hard to come up with tasty ideas for a full meal…you’ve either got ideas for the entrées, but not the sides, or vice versa. Here, we’ve got an amazing, creamy, nutrient-packed side dish that will have everyone reaching for seconds. Instead of making rice by itself – butter and salt can do a lot for rice, but we’re taking it even further with this recipe – we’re adding lots of spinach and tons of flavor. It doesn’t get better than this!
Taking barely any longer than it takes to make rice as your normally would, we start by toasting the rice and garlic to give it a little extra flavor. Add the onions and water and cook as you typically would (pretty easy so far, right?), then at the end stir in your cheese, spinach and heavy cream.
The rice goes from bland to amazing in a matter of minutes, with deliciously melted cheese and creaminess for days. This side dish is, without a doubt, a new favorite and we know we’ll be making it often in the weeks to come!
Spinach Garlic Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat and toast rice and garlic, stirring frequently, for 30-60 seconds, or until lightly toasted.
- Add onion and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until rice has absorbed all water and is puffed up and fluffy.
- Fluff rice with a fork, then stir in cheese and spinach. Whisk flour into heavy cream, then stir into rice. Cook until mixture has thickened slightly, 5-7 minutes.
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper (as needed), then serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Pretty Bee