We’ve waxed poetic about the benefits of a good one-pot meal before, and this one is no different. After a long day, cleaning dirty dishes is the last thing anyone wants to do, making this veggie fajita pasta the perfect meal to tackle when you get home. That’s right, pasta, veggies and seasoning all get thrown into one big pot together and that’s it.
It’s true, while you may have thought that pre-cooking your pasta was the only way to go here, thankfully, that’s not the case. The veggies cook up to be nice and soft, flavoring the water as they go, along with the other seasoning that goes in (hot sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, etc), and then you spoon in a hearty dollop of Greek yogurt that adds creaminess and balances out the whole dish. This stuff is seriously good; make sure you check it out!
Veggie Fajita Pasta
- 16 oz. penne pasta
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) container vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt or cream cheese
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Cholula hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus extra limes for garnish
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- olive oil, as needed
- fresh cilantro, garnish
- Stir together penne pasta, crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock and water, then mix in sliced garlic, bell peppers and onion.
- Mix in hot sauce and lime juice, then season with chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 9-11 minutes, or until pasta is al dente, and sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Stir greek yogurt (or cream cheese, if using) into the pasta and toss until incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, then serve hot, garnished with freshly chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Recipe adapted from Baker By Nature