This isn’t your ordinary tomato soup. This is a big bowl full of slow-cooker tomato basil parmesan soup. Say goodbye to boring bisque and bland canned soup with this stunning recipe! Your friends and family will think you spent all day preparing this meal, but really it just takes 20 minutes and a slow cooker. Win-win.
Garlic, heavy cream, and diced tomatoes take center stage, along with fresh basil and parmesan for a truly unforgettable soup experience. Just throw the ingredients in a crock pot for a few hours, puree, and mix in a roux to thicken things up a bit. Top with basil and parmesan, and you’re good to go. Get the full ingredients list and directions below!
Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
4 hours, 30 min
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- For the roux: 3 tablespoons butter, 1/4 cup flour, 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large crock pot, add tomatoes, sauce, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, onion, cream, and chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a blender 30 minutes before serving. Puree, and return to crock pot.
- For the roux: melt butter in a medium saucepan, and add flour. Mix until combined. Whisk in heavy cream until smooth.
- Add roux and parmesan to tomato mixture in crock pot, stirring to combine.
- Cook until cheese is melted, 15-25 minutes. Serve with additional basil and parmesan cheese on top.
Recipe adapted from Creme De La Crumb.