When the weather starts to turn, we love having recipes on hand that will warm us up and get us excited about the changing seasons. And if said recipes happen to be super healthy and delicious, those are just added bonuses! This white bean chicken soup soup fits the bill perfectly, as it’s packed with flavor and great for you.
With chicken and cannellini beans offering up the bulk of the protein, this recipe also has all the soup standards you’d expect to find – tomato, onion, carrot, celery, along with all the requisite spices – making it a comforting classic to come home to. And did we mention it’s a slow cooker recipe?? That’s right, this bad boy comes together in the slow cooker, making it just about the easiest thing ever…kick back and relax, this dish has got you covered!
White Bean Chicken Soup
15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, juices reserved
- 1 (32 oz.) box chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, garnish, optional
- Place chicken, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in slow cooker.
- Add cannellini beans and diced tomatoes (with juices) to the pot, then pour in chicken broth.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then add bay leaves, rosemary sprig, oregano, thyme, basil and red pepper flakes.
- Stir everything together, then cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Use two forks to shred chicken, then serve hot and enjoy!
- Optional: place all ingredients in a resealable, plastic, gallon-sized bag and squeeze all remaining air out. Freeze for up to 6 months before cooking.
Recipe adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker