Creating your own is cheaper, tastier, and so much more fun!
While there are store-bought options out there, we found that creating this edible “flower” arrangement with our kids was such a special time in the kitchen together, we wouldn’t dream of passing that up to just receive one in the mail…plus, our homemade version is way more cost-effective; win-win!
If you can get your hands on some floral, garden-ish cookie cutters (we’re thinking flowers, butterflies, throw some hearts in there for good measure, etc.) and a bunch of fruit, you are good to go. A halved watermelon serves as your base, then you can basically go crazy with any other fruits you like, stamping out shapes with the cookie cutters and making a bunch of fruit skewers to be propped in your melon base. Got a melon baller on hand? Perfect. Start carving up the remaining watermelon half or cantaloupe and top your skewers with the melon balls. This is a fun, family activity (a great way to show Mom or Dad you care!), presents beautifully, and can serve a crowd. Need we say more? Get going and make your own edible arrangement – we know you’ll love it!
Homemade Edible Arrangement
- 2 watermelons
- 1 cantaloupe
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled
- red and green grapes
- 1 pineapple
- cookie cutters
- Cut off the top 1/2 inch of watermelon, then cut watermelon in half. Flip melon over so it’s sitting on flat base. This will be the bottom of your arrangement.
- Leaving base of watermelon intact, use a melon baller to scoop out other half of melon to use on fruit skewers.
- Take second watermelon and cut it into 1-inch rounds. Use desired cookie cutters to stamp out watermelon pieces.
- Cut cantaloupe in half (scooping out center) and use melon baller to scoop out cantaloupe balls.
- Cut off top and bottom of pineapple, then cut off outer peel. Cut into 1-inch rounds, then use cookie cutters to stamp out designs.
- Line skewers with grapes, then top with strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, or blueberries.
- Take skewers and place them in watermelon base, arranging them as desired. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Mirror Mirror