Egg roll wrappers are one of our new favorite items to pick up at the store. They’re so much fun, and you can fill them with just about anything. For our latest recipe, we got creative and filled ours with mashed potatoes and cheese! Yep, that’s right! They’ve gone over very well at family get-togethers, with adults and kids alike. And it’s always fun to not tell guests what’s inside – they’ll probably think it’s a traditional egg roll…. boy will they be surprised, and delighted!
These little gems might seem complicated at first, but they’re honestly pretty darn easy to make, especially if you already have leftover mashed potatoes on hand. Just be sure to wrap the filling nice and tight or the cheese might ooze out…. But let’s be real, there are much worse problems in life than melty cheese!
Cheesy Mashed Potato Egg Rolls
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, chilled
- 8 sticks of sharp cheddar cheese (appx 3” long by 1/4” square)
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled (or bacon bits)
- 1/3 cup green onions, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for dipping
- In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, bacon, green onions, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Wrap about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture around a stick of cheese. Make sure to completely cover the cheese, or it could leak out when frying.
- Place the potato wrapped cheese stick on an egg roll wrapper diagonally, from corner to corner.
- Tuck the two shorter corners inwards, then roll the rest of the wrapper up around filling. Dab a bit of water along the seam to seal completely.
- In a large pot or skillet, heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil to 350ºF.
- In small batches, fry egg rolls for 4-5 minutes, or until wrapper is golden brown.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined dish and let drain.
- Serve immediately with sour cream, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies