There are so many delightful dishes that bring all the holiday memories rushing back to us, and eggnog is one of them. A seasonal beverage (with or without a little kick) comprised of eggs, milk and cream, this drink tastes like a yummy egg custard and is the perfect way to finish off any festive celebration! We don’t want anyone to worry about raw eggs, so this is a cooked version just make sure you whisk, whisk, whisk, so the egg doesn’t scramble or coagulate, and you’ll be all set!
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- rum or brandy, optional
- Combine sugar and salt in a large bowl. Then add in eggs and mix until completely incorporated.
- Heat milk in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour sugar and egg mixture into milk and whisk vigorously.
- Continue stirring until mixture reaches 155-160º and mixture coats the whisk. About 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon, and stir well. Note: if using alcohol, pour it in at this point.
- Pour eggnog into a pitcher and refrigerate for 6-8 hours, or overnight.
- Shake before serving and garnish with nutmeg and/or whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from The Cooking Geek