This craft really came together pretty easily, although it didn’t look awesome until the very last step.
Would you believe that these metal letters are actually made out of cardboard, aluminum foil, and shoe polish? That’s right, with just a few common household supplies, you too can achieve this faux cast iron look! This craft really came together pretty easily, although it didn’t look awesome until the very last step. So stick with it! We promise these faux metal letters will turn out great.
One tip I wish I would have known before attempting this project is to make your designs bigger than you think you should. It’s easy to think you’re leaving a lot of space when you’re drawing with a pencil, but think about how much space you’ll need when you trace over the lines with glue! Also, keep in mind that the glue expands a little bit as it dries. We used tacky glue, so the expanding was limited, but still there. Overall, this project was a huge hit, and we just love how it turned out!
– X-acto knife
– Tacky Glue
– Glue Stick
– Aluminium foil
– Cotton swab
– Black shoe polish
– Paper towels
1. Trace and cut out letters from cardboard.
2. Sketch out your simple design on the cardboard, and go over with tacky glue.
3. Once the tacky glue has completely dried, cut a piece of foil slightly larger than the cardboard. Attach to the letters using a glue stick, gently rubbing the foil onto the cardboard.
4. Using a cotton swab, gently press the foil around the tacky glue lines so the shapes become more visible.
5. Once the foil is secured, use a dull pencil or the end of paintbrush to add extra details to the foil.
6. When you’re satisfied with your design and details, cover the foil with shoe polish, and wipe off any excess with a paper towel.
7. Let dry, and hang up in your house!