Chicken enchilada casserole: All the bold flavors and spices of enchiladas, without the sometimes-messy assembly of the traditional recipe. This version makes for an easy dinner that everyone at the table will love.The recipe also has some room for customization – you can use your favorite pre-made enchilada sauce, or a go-to recipe that you love. You can also mix up the cheeses…Monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar, or even a blend would all be delicious in this casserole. With only seven ingredients, this one-dish meal is a great weeknight dinner that’ll feed the whole family (or leave you with lots of yummy leftovers).
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
30min to prepare Serves 6-8
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 pounds chicken), shredded
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese blend (or desired cheese combo)
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 package of flour or corn tortillas
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- 1 (19 oz.) can enchilada sauce (or equivalent of homemade sauce)
- 1/4 cup medium green onions, sliced (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Mix the chicken, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, and the chiles in a bowl together.
- Add a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish and spread it evenly across the dish, then layer two tortillas on top of the sauce, making sure that the entire bottom of the dish and part of the sides are completely covered by the tortillas.
- Spread about half of the beans on top of the tortillas, followed by half the chicken mixture and then half of the enchilada sauce.
- Put another two tortillas on top of this layer, followed by the rest of the beans and chicken mixture.
- Add the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of these tortillas and finish by sprinkling the rest of the cheese (1 1/2 cups) on top.
- Cover the dish in foil and bake it for 45 to 55 minutes, or until bubbly (peek under the foil to check).
- Garnish with chips and cilantro if desired, then serve after letting the dish stand for about five minutes.
Recipe adapted from Citron Limette