While we typically reach for savory side dishes to complement our dinners, it’s so great to find a dish that’s a little bit sweet and a little bit savory, that goes perfectly with just about every meal: sweet corn spoon bread! While the name might tip you off that it’s a derivative of corn bread, this recipe is so much more than said classic. With corn muffin mix as the base, we added two different types of corn, plus a dash of sugar, and the result is an almost-cake-like bread that you can scoop up and dollop onto your plate (whether or not that’s with reckless abandon is up to you…).
Seriously, this stuff is so ridiculously good…it’s even better than traditional cornbread in our book. At first we weren’t sure if it was the sweet bites of corn kernels scattered throughout, or the fact that taking a bite meant biting into something that was smooth and creamy instead of crumbly, but ultimately, we think it’s a combination of the aforementioned factors, along with that delicious hint of sweetness – it just can’t be beat! Next time you’re looking for a side dish, give this one a shot and see if it doesn’t steal the show and win you over!
Corn Spoon Bread
1 hour to prepare serves 6
- 1 (8.5 oz.) box corn muffin mix
- 1 (14.75 oz.) can cream style corn
- 1 (15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking dish or skillet with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine corn muffin mix with sugar, salt and pepper, then add in cream corn and drained corn, sour cream, melted butter and eggs, stirring until everything is just incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to greased baking dish or skillet, then place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving. Use a large serving spoon to scoop onto plates and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Southern Bite