How adorable are these cactus coasters? I just love this project, and I love how it turned out. The best part is, anyone can do this! These are your basic crocheted flat circle, and then you just add the spines of the cactus by tying on white thread. Then, it’s just a matter of crocheting a little flower (we have several options to try out in the free pattern below), and then crocheting the little pot to hold everything in!
This is actually a great project for a beginner to tackle – it walks you through a lot of the basic techniques for crocheting in the round, shaping, and increasing.
The best part about this pattern is that it consists entirely of single crochets, so you don’t have to worry about learning a new stitch, you can just focus on shaping the flowers. Who wouldn’t love this fun little coaster set? I know I would! I bet you know a few people who would just die for some cactus coasters! This makes for such a fun gift, and it all comes together in just a few hours.
Go ahead and see how to work this pattern in the video below, and then get the free pattern beneath the video! Don’t forget to share photos of your completed cactus coasters with us in the comments below!
– Cotton yarn in two shades of green, pink, and white or tan
– 5.5mm hook
1. Start with a magic circle and chain one. Single crochet 8 times in the circle, slip stitch in the first chain Pull loose end to close circle.
2. Chain 1. Single crochet 2 times in each stitch of the previous row, slip stitch into chain 1. 16 total stitches.
3. Chain 1. 2 single crochets in next stitch of the previous row, 1 single crochet in next stitch. Repeat 2 single crochets in every other stitch all the way around. Slip stitch into chain 1. 24 total stitches.
4. Chain 1. 2 single crochets in the next stitch, 1 single crochet in the next two stitches. Repeat the increase (2 sc in one stitch) every 3rd stitch. Slip stitch into chain 1. 32 stitches total.
5. Chain 1. 2 single crochets in next stitch, 1 single crochet in next 3 stitches. Repeat the increase every 4th stitch. Slip stitch into chain 1. 40 stitches total.
6. Chain 1. 2 single crochets in next stitch, 1 single crochet in next 4 stitches. Repeat the increase every 5th stitch. Slip stitch into chain 1. 48 stitches total.
7. Chain 1. 2 single crochets in next stitch, 1 single crochet in next 5 stitches. Repeat the increase every 6th stitch. Slip stitch into chain 1, cut string, weave in ends. 56 stitches total.
8. Cut pieces of white string and tie around different stitches to look like the spines of a cactus.
Version 1: Chain 3, slip stitch into first chain to form a circle. Chain 4, slip stitch in the center of the circle to form a petal. Repeat 4 more times for a total of 5 petals. Cut string, weave in ends. Attach to cactus.
Version 2: Chain 8, turn, single crochet 3 times in the 2nd chain from the hook, and each chain for the rest of the row. This will start to curl. Twist the row to form a rose shape and thread the ends of the thread through the center to secure in place. Attach to cactus.
Version 3: Form a magic circle, chain 1. Single crochet, *half double crochet, double crochet, treble crochet, double crochet, half double crochet, and single crochet in the center. This forms one petal. Repeat from * four more times for a total of 5 petals. Attach to cactus.
1. Chain 10, turn. Single crochet in the second chain from the hook, and each chain in the row. When you get to the last chain, single crochet three times. Don’t turn, just keep crocheting on the other side of the chain – single crochets in each stitch.
2. When you get to the other end, single crochet three times and slip stitch in the next stitch. Chain 1.
3. Single crochet around one more time, slip stitch in last chain, chain one.
4. Working in the front loops only, single crochet around. slip stitch in last chain, chain one.
5. Continue working in both loops, single crochet around for 14 more rounds, tie off and weave in ends.
6. To make the “potted” look, simply roll the open end down an inch or two. Stick your completed cactus coasters in the pot!